Mayaexplor is a a tour operator specializing in the Mayan World . It is directed by an international team based in Guatemala .
The logistics of our tours are managed by the country´s best tourism professionals . The tours are offered at " local prices ".
Our passion is in helping the traveler uncover the hidden Guatemala and Mayan World, not though mass-produced tourism , projecting travelers onto the country, but though an authentic and respectful approach that combines cultural ethics with tourism in solidarity with Guatemalans .
Mayaexplor was founded by Thierry Roquet.
The majority of our tours are designed and guided under his direction and care.
Experience and references :
- Designer and tour guide for the most important European adventure travel agencies since 1989
- Recommended by Lonely Planet edition, Footprint edition, Le Guide du Routard , Guide Néos , Guide Hachette , Guide Gallimard , Petit futé , Guide Ulysse and by Spanish, Dutch, German, Italian and Japanese travel guide books
- Additional experience guiding tours for groups in Mexico, Honduras, Ecuador and Peru
- Official guide for INGUAT (Instituto Guatemalteco de Turismo)
Our vision of traveling :
As travel has become increasingly popular, it has become more and more difficult for those who love the sense of discovery to get "off the beaten path." Sometimes, traditions become performances and the meeting the local people feels more like a business transaction. It is our mission at Mayaexplor to provide opportunities to those who wish to dive beneath the surface and discover the authenticity and uniqueness that is Guatemala. For us, traveling is not flying through indigenous villages in a new 4x4 trying to snap photos of the locals as you go, nor is it peering out the tour bus window exchanging friendly glances with the Guatemalans on the road below.
One of the most important aspects of travel is the discovering of local people and culture. For Mayaexplor, travel means learning, respecting, sharing, exchanging and at the same time, loving our "Madre Tierra" (Mother Earth).
This is vision of travel that we wish to share with you.
Thierry, erupción del volcán Pacaya, Mayo de 2006
Leading our Italian speaking department :
Donatienne André , designer and tour guide:
-From Belgium, living in Guatemala
-Qualified in modern literature and passionate about contemporary Latin America culture and literature
-Designer of Mayaexplor Central America tours
-Responsible of the Italian speaking customers department at Mayaexplor
-French and Italian speaking guide in Guatemala and Honduras.
She will share with you her very favorite for the natural and cultural heritage in Central America.
One of her favorites quotes :
“Opening the eyes over other cultures, often so different from the occidental culture, is a precious opportunity, a fabulous human experience."
”There is no man more complete than the one who travelled a lot, who changed the shape of his thoughts and his life twenty times.”
Also operating our tour operator, travel designer and guide : André Roquet
- In charge of the Spanish and South American department of Mayaexplor.
- Designer of adventure trips in Guatemala for Mayaexplor
- Passionate about mountain biking on the Altiplano in Guatemala
- Trekking guide